Do I dare hope that spring has sprung? I certainly am ready for it! Hope this nice weather continues and that you and your family have a great week!
The Positivity Project: Social Intelligence
For the next 2 weeks, the students will be learning about social intelligence.
WHAT IT MEANS
You are aware of other people's thoughts and feelings. You understand why they do things.
WHY IT MATTERS
Social intelligence helps individuals build relationships.
On a group level, social intelligence is what allows us to function as humans. We are social beings and rely on each other’s cooperation. By understanding ourselves and other people, we can find ways to collaborate for mutual benefit.
Read Across America Week is this Week!
Read Across America Week is this week and there is a theme for every day!
Here is the schedule for the week:
- Monday, Feb 26 -- Create a flyer telling us about your favorite book and why we should read it. Join us at Eva Perry Library from 4:30-6:30.
- Tuesday, Feb 27 -- Camp Out and Read. Wear your PJs and bring a flashlight for some extra reading time!
- Wednesday, Feb 28 -- Cat in the Hat Day! Wear a hat and bring your favorite Dr. Seuss book
- Thursday, March 1 -- Fox in Socks day! Wear your favorite pair of socks!
- Friday, March 2 -- Dress like your favorite character! Community Readers Day!
Wednesday: Last Home Basketball Game of the Season
Our 5th grade team will be taking the court on Wednesday at 5:00pm against 6th graders at Dillard Middle School. We might see some former Swifties on the opposing team. Come out and cheer them on!!!!
Friday: Early Release & Last Day for Jump Rope for Heart
This is the last early release day of the year. If you are interested in donating fruit, veggies, or water to our staff power snack, see
Friday is also the last day to turn in money for Jump Rope for Heart! I can't wait to hear from Ms. Graves how much our school has collected!
You Have a ChromeBook and You Have a ChromeBook and You Have a ChromeBook
Exciting news from this past week! Swift Creek finally received its long awaited technology distribution from the county. This week, we received 150 Chromebooks. Most of these were distributed to EVERY classroom, so students and teachers will have direct access to the technology whenever they want it.
This is in addition to the ChromeBooks and ipads that the PTA is purchasing for the school. As a result, our student to technology ratio will be 3 to 1 (or better)! That is something to celebrate!
Congratulations to the Cougar Chorus
Exciting news from Ms. Sutton:
Our very own Cougar Chorus (which is made up of 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders) has been selected by NCDPI to perform for Superintendent Mark Johnson and his staff during Music In Our Schools Month. This is a great honor for Swift Creek. We are the only K-12 school who will be performing during Music in Our Schools Month. We will represent not only Swift Creek but all NC schools.
If you know a Chorus member, please congratulate them on this honor. Also please thank Ms Sutton for all her amazing work and her dedication to advocating for the whole child!
International Night is March 22
Save the date. On March 22 in conjunction with Family Night at the Book Fair, we are having International Night.
We want to represent as many different cultures as possible, but to do that, we need your help!
Share with us your family's traditions and ideas. Here are some ways that you and your child can help!
- Create a poster or display (such as a trifold board) that you can display on the night of the event.
- Perform a traditional dance, music, or storytelling. Or maybe you know a group who might be willing to come perform! We'd love that too!
- Create a display with special items, such as your country's flag, photos, books, money, traditional dress.
- Help kids create a traditional craft. Need supplies? No worries. Just tell us what you need and we will purchase it for you.
- Sample traditional food. Please note: This must be prepackaged food. Homemade food is not allowed by Wake County.
Can't do any of the above but you still want to participate? Everyone is welcome to International Night on March 22. Wear traditional dress on the night of the event!
If you are interested in participating, please contact Marie Dexter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark Your Calendars:
- March 2 -- Early Release. School dismisses at 1:15pm
- March 9 - Spirit Night at Goldfish Swim School. Spots are limited so RSVP today.
- March 13 6:30pm: PTA meeting followed by 5th grade drama performance
- March 19-23: Book Fair Week
- March 22: International Fair / Family Night at the Book Fair
- March 30 - April 6 -- Spring Break!
- April 10 6:30pm -- 4th grade Drama Performance. Preceded by a short PTA meeting. We will be accepting your nominations for officers for next year.
- April 17: Spirit Night at Chick-Fil-A in Crossroads
Advocacy Update: Your Chance to Give Feedback on Middle School Math Curriculum
From Great Schools in Wake County:
Pretty cool the school system is seeking input on this:
Update from Public Schools First NC
Some of the issues we're focusing on include passing a state-wide school construction bond, increasing principal and teacher pay, implementing universal Pre-K for all eligible children and restoring teacher assistants to pre-recession levels. We are also in support of establishing a moratorium on school vouchers and fully funding the class size mandate. Share your thoughts; take the survey!