So according to the calendar, spring is on Tuesday. According to the weather forecast, Wednesday has a chance of winter weather. Please let this be the last round. Ugh!
There is alot going on at the Creek this week! We hope you can join in the fun.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need anything. Or if you want to get involved in anything listed below! We'd love to have your help! Have a great week!
The Positivity Project: Forgiveness
This week, the students will be learning about the character strength of forgiveness.
WHAT IT MEANS
Forgiveness is the ability to move past being injured, and
allow yourself to reconcile with the person who hurt you.
Forgiveness can often be seen as a selfless act, but it also
carries many benefits for those who practice it. Those who
demonstrate forgiveness have the ability to move forward
after someone has hurt them. Forgiveness is often rooted
in the idea that all people are valuable and worthy of a
WHY IT MATTERS?
The ability to reconcile differences and move forward positively is a trait of any effective group. When people work together, conflict is inevitable. However, when people value each other’s contribution and believe in the group’s goal, they become more capable of moving past conflict toward genuinely positive behavior. A group member’s willingness to forgive imperfections of both other members and the group as a whole contribute to overall success.
Pack Healthy Snacks: Fruit and Vegetables
This week, Ms. Graves is challenging our families to pack healthy snacks, specifically fruits and vegetables, as our kids snacks. The class in each grade level with the healthiest total at the end of the week earns a special PE activity.
It's Book Fair and International Week
The media center is all set up and ready for Around the World with Books. During the week, your children will be given an opportunity to preview the books and create their wish lists. Then they will have the opportunity to shop!
To help build excitement at the school, encourage your child to participate in these daily events.
- Monday, March 19 -- Dress in the colors of your country's flag. This could be the flag for where your family lives now or where your ancesters came from (like France, Kenya, Brazil, and so on).
- Tuesday, March 20 - Show and Tell. Bring a small cultural item to share with your class.
- Wednesday, March 21 -- World Storytelling Day. Does your family have a favorite cultural story to share? (For example, we have a book of Scottish fairy tales.) You might bring it to share. Teachers will also be sharing books in class.
- Thursday, March 22 -- Wear traditional dress and attend Family Night at the Book Fair / International night.
- Friday, March 23 -- Listen and Learn a dance. Students will be learning na dance in class. Teachers will be sharing the following YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPWgo3JL9c
For a complete list, see http://swiftcreekeswcpssnetptahtml.weebly.com/international-night.html
With Book Fair and Family Night / International Night this week, we need a lot of volunteers!
- During the week, we need folks to help the kids preview and create their shopping lists and helping the kids purchase books. You can volunteer at the Book Fair! https://tinyurl.com/y74svvlt. If you have questions about the Book Fair, contact Aimee Langerhans at email@example.com.
- On Thursday night, we need a few volunteers to help at International Night. You can choose between helping in one of the country rooms, manning the prize station, helping in the gyms between performances. We have many volunteers from the Swift Creek Service Club, but we need some adult eyes as well. As little as a half hour would be helpful. If you can help, please contact Marie Dexter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EOG testing is right around the corner (end of May, beginning of June) and we are in need of registered parent volunteers to help proctor!! If you are interested in helping please use the web link to complete a form with your information: https://tinyurl.com/EOGatSwift
Wednesday: Picture Day
Wednesday is Spring Picture Day. This is also when class pictures will be taken. You must order your class picture BEFORE Wednesday. You can order individual pictures after though.
Thursday: Family Night at the Book Fair and International Night!
It is time for Swift Creek's First Annual International Night! We've had so many staff members and parents working to make this event a success.
Here is the schedule for the evening:
- 5:30-7:00 -- Light appetizers in the cafeteria. We will have international food from Whole Foods available. Items include empanadas, samoas, egg rolls, and more!
- 5:30 - 8:00 -- Book Fair is open in the media center for shopping.
- 6:00 - 7:30 -- Come tour our countries. Many families have been working on presentations to share with you. Countries that you can tour include Guatemala, India, Ireland, Spain, and more! We have 5 different classrooms that you can visit.
- 6:00-7:45 -- Activities and performances in the gym.
When your family arrives, please be sure to grab a passport in the front lobby. Students who receive 5 stamps can be entered in the raffle for a Mancala game.
To help get the kids excited, Mr. Propst will be announcing Fun Facts over more announcements. Stop by our Quiz Stations on Family Night, answer a question about one of these Fun Facts correctly, and win a small prize. There will be 4 stations total.
It really should be a special night. Hope you can join us! For the updated schedule, see http://swiftcreekeswcpssnetptahtml.weebly.com/international-night.html
If you can help volunteer for even half an hour that night, please contact Marie Dexter at email@example.com and let her know your availability.
Do you have any Books to Donate to Our 25 cent bin?
To help all our families purchase books, we will have a 25 cent bin at the Book Fair. If you have gently used books to donate to this bin, please bring them by the office. The money from these sales goes back to purchase books for the school.
Extended: 5th Grade Dedications and Yearbook Orders
Did you forget to put a 5th grade dedication in the yearbook? Please contact Kristy Pickurel at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
The form is available at
Also, you can still order your yearbook. See the order form on the PTA web page. If you are interested in sponsoring a page for $10, see the updated order form for a list of pages that are still available. Remember your sponsorship helps keep our yearbook costs low!
Looking for a Great Summer Camp
Did you know that Camp Invention will be at Swift Creek June 18-22?
Camp Invention is one week in the summer where your child’s creativity, innovation, and problem solving skills are challenged and developed in fun and exciting ways.
Register at campinvention.org.
- Early Bird Discount: Valid through March 23 Save $25 with promo code SummerFun25
- Spring into Summer Discount: Valid March 22-May 4 $15 off with promo code SummerFun15
- Two Siblings Discount $25 off each child promo code SIBLING
For more information, contact Camp Director Monica Coles (email@example.com) or Camp Parent Marie Dexter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Mark Your Calendars:
- March 19-23: Book Fair Week
- March 22: International Fair / Family Night at the Book Fair
- March 30 - April 6 -- Spring Break!
- April 10 6:30pm -- 4th grade Drama Performance. Preceded by a short PTA meeting. We will be accepting your nominations for officers for next year.
- April 17: Spirit Night at Chick-Fil-A in Crossroads