An exciting week ahead! It is Teacher Appreciation Week! The teachers at Swift Creek work so incredibly hard and put in so many hours. Let's shower them with LOVE this week. Below are some suggestions from the PTA on what you can do each day. Participation in this is optional. But we hope you'll recognize your teacher in a way that is meaningful for you and your family.
Also, just a reminder we have the last PTA meeting of the year on Tuesday. If you plan to attend, can you please respond to this email? I am trying to get an estimate of how many folks will be there.
Thanks for ALL you do! Have a wonderful week!
The Positivity Project: Leadership
This week, the kids will be learning about Leadership.
WHAT IT MEANS
You value each member of your group and inspire people to do their best.
WHY IT MATTERS
For individuals, leadership is a way to achieve what you know is important, as groups of people invariably achieve more than individuals. If you want to achieve your vision for
the future, you need to inspire others to join you.
At dinner this week, ask your child who he or she thinks demonstrates leadership. Can they think of someone in their community or family? Maybe a celebrity, politician, or sports figure? For example, Derek Jeter retired in 2014 season but will always be respected because of his leadership on and off the field. He is also one of the best shortstops to ever play the game.
What are some of things this person does as a leader? What are some qualities that make that person a good leader? What qualities make you a leader?
This information is also available from the PTA's P2 website.
It's Teacher Appreciation Week
Teacher Appreciation Week is the week of May 7-11. The PTA has some great things planned, but we need some help. We are looking for donations of food items, as well as classroom coverage on Friday, May 11 for the teacher luncheon. Please see the links below.
On Tuesday, May 8, the PTA will host a breakfast for the teachers. If you would like to donate breakfast items, please visit: https://tinyurl.com/yctyzjw8
On Thursday, May 10, the PTA will provide the teachers with healthy snacks today. To donate items, please visit: https://tinyurl.com/y79fd5mg
On Friday, May 11. the PTA is hosting a Mexican luncheon for the teachers. If you would like to volunteer to sit in the class while all the teachers eat together from 12-1 pm, please visit: https://tinyurl.com/yc5vsh6k
If you have questions about volunteering, contact Delores Ragsdale at email@example.com. For questions about hospitality, contact Elizabeth Worthy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday, May 8: Last PTA Meeting of the Year
Please join us for the last PTA meeting of the year, Tuesday, May 8 at 6:30pm in the media center.
We will meet the new principal at Dillard Drive Middle School, Mrs. Feldman. We will also be electing officers for next year and voting on our summer budget.
Here are the nominees for officers for next year:
- President - Marie Dexter
- Vice President 1 - Tara Batemon
- Vice President 2 - Deborah Killion
- Treasurer - Delores Ragsdale
- Secretary - April Bartley
If you'd like to nominate someone, please send their name to Marie Dexter at email@example.com. Nominations will also be accepted during the meeting.
Wednesday, May 9: Bike or Walk to School
Ms. Graves is organizing a Bike or Walk to school day on Wednesday, May 9! We will meet in the Food Lion Parking lot at 8:30am.
Friday: Wake Up and Read Donations through May 11
The Wake Up and Read program is a non-profit organization that annually collects 110,000 books for students in need in Wake County. For more information, see http://wakeupandread.org/.
This year, the program is thousands of books short of their goal. They especially need picture books, short chapter books, and non-fictions books for Kindergarten through 5th grade.
You can help by donating new or gently used books. Simply send the books to school with our child and label them "Wake Up and Read". There is a donation bin in the front hall.
We Need EOG Proctors. Please Help!
We desperately need parent volunteers to help proctor these tests, especially on May 31 and June 1. We are already using our TAs and there are still proctor slots to fill! .
Sign up at https://tinyurl.com/EOGatSwift.
Attention 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade parents! Here is the end-of-grade test schedule:
- Friday, May 25: ELA (Grade 3) and Science (Coles: Grade 5)
- Tuesday, May 29: Math (Grade 3) and Science (Krauter: Grade 5)
- Wednesday, May 30: Science (Boyd: Grade 5)
- Thursday, May 31: Math (Grade 4) and ELA (Grade 5)
- Friday, June 1: ELA (Grade 4) and Math (Grade 5)
- Monday, June 4: Read to Achieve Test (Grade 3) and Make-Ups (Grade 4-5)
Garden Round Up!
Our garden digs were so much fun this week. Check out the pictures at http://swiftcreekeswcpssnetptahtml.weebly.com/school-garden.html
If you have questions about the garden, please contact Nehal Outlaw at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Newsletter Goes Home on Tuesday
The May edition of the Swift Creek Current goes home in Tuesday folders. Here is a sneak peek: http://swiftcreekeswcpssnetptahtml.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/2/2/24227387/may82018_english.pdf
Why stress in August when you can buy next year's school supplies today? Turn in your School Supply Kitz order form by Friday, May 25. Or order online at www.shopttkits.com. Our school code is 38021.
If you have any questions, contact Lynn Kelly at email@example.com
Camp Invention! It's Not too Late to Sign Up!
Need a summer camp for June 18-22? Then look no further. Camp Invention will be at Swift Creek! This is a great opportunity to learn new STEM skills in a familiar environment with our Swifty staff! My oldest daughter participated several years ago and loved it. I’ve heard similar praise from other parents!
Register at campinvention.org.
Two Siblings Discount $25 off each child promo code SIBLING
For more information, contact Camp Director Monica Coles (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Camp Parent Marie Dexter (email@example.com).
Help Your Teacher Get a Surprise Visit from Wake County
From Wake County Public Schools! We need your help! Use this form to tell us about an amazing #WCPSSteacher who deserves to be recognized with a surprise visit during Teacher Appreciation Week! http://bit.ly/2KzS6Ka We'll notify you if your teacher is selected!
Mark Your Calendars!
- Thursday, May 17 6-7pm: Kindergarten Open House. This is for our families who will be joining us next year! If you have neighbors or friends who will be coming to the Creek next year, please tell them to come by. We'd love to meet them!
- Friday, May 18 8am: Donuts with Dad in the cafeteria. Remember to send in your RSVPs as soon as possible.
- Friday, May 25: Deadline for paper order forms of School Supply Kitz
- Thursday, June 7
- 9:30am -- 5th grade graduation in the gym
- 10:30am -- High Fives on the field
- 2:00pm -- Talent Show
- 5-7pm: Join us on the field behind the school for a Swift Creek family picnic. Bring your picnic dinner and we'll provide the fun! More details to come!
- Friday, June 8: Last Day of School! Field Day! Last day to order School Supply Kitz online.
Advocacy Update: Vote on Tuesday and Wear Red for Advocacy Day
- Primaries are being held on Tuesday, May 8. Remember to stop by your voting precinct and cast your vote!
- On May 16, the NC General Assembly will reconvene. Teachers and supporters of public education from across NC will be rallying for issues, such as increasing teacher pay and increased student spending. On May 16, wear RED to show your support for public education. Information from Great Schools In Wake: http://ow.ly/iZyw30jPCl4