What a strange week that was! Hopefully the gas shortage will ease and we will have a normal week!
At Tuesday's PTA, we elected officers for the 2021-22 school year. Your PTA Executive Board next year will be
- President -- Marie Dexter
- Vice President 1 - Deborah Killion
- Vice President 2 - Sarah Wohldmann
- Treasurer - Dana Boyer
- Secretary - Lauren Nicholls
If you are interested in becoming an officer in the future, we invite you to shadow an officer this year. Shadowing will help you understand the responsibilities of the position before committing! If you are interested in shadowing an officer, contact any of these officers.
We also reviewed the summer budget. This budget lists expenses that might incur before we officially approve the 2021-22 budget at our first general membership meeting in September.
Here are the minutes from the meeting.
Thank you for ALL you do to keep our Swift Creek community strong! We hope you have an uneventful week!
Marie, Deb, Sarah, Dana, and Lauren
HIGHLIGHTS FOR THIS WEEK
- Wednesday, May 19 -- 3rd grade ELA EOG
- Thursday, May 20 -- 3rd grade Math EOG
our Accomplishments this School Year
Next to each event is the person who organized this activity. If you have an opportunity to express your thanks, please give them a shout out or pat on the back.
- Monthly general membership meetings (Thank you to our executive board!)
- Weekly PTA newsletters
- Frequent reminders on FaceBook
- At the start of the school year, the PTA provided a $125 gift card to every classroom teacher, specialist, counselor, AIG, speech, Literacy Coach, and IRT
- $4100 was spent in grade level grant money
- $500 to each grade level
- $300 to specials teachers
- $300 to Special Education
- We celebrated many, many appreciation weeks: Teacher Appreciation, Counselor, Custodian, Office Administration, Bus Driver
- Monthly treats for staff including:
- 2 lunch visits from a taco truck
- Pies for every staff member in November
- Pizzas for each staff member during Teacher Appreciation Week
- $10 holiday gift cards for every staff member in December
- Monthly decoration of school grounds (Thank you to all the volunteers who came and brightened the mornings for our teachers.)
Thank you to all the families who donated pies and gift cards as well! The staff loved these November and December treats.
All of these events were paid for through YOUR Fun Run donations!
Family and Student Activities:
- STEM Night (Thank you, Lauren Nicholls and Ashley Elliott)
- Science Fair (Thank you, Ashley Elliott)
- Fun Run. We raised $12,000, which exceeded our $10,000 fundraising goal. (Thank you to Annie Pilz!)
- 2 (virtual) Scholastic Book fairs (Thank you, Kristen Sherman and Mrs. Wils)
- Grounds clean up in November (Thank you to Landscaping chair, Tracey McCloud, and to all the hardworking volunteers who showed up that day!)
- Reflections (Thank you, Carrie Fernandez.)
- School Supply Kitz, a quick and easy way to get your school supplies for next school year (Thank you, Laura Monaghan!)
- 5th grade t-shirts (Thank you, Erin Galloway, for finding a new way to connect and celebrate our 5th graders. Thank you to all the families who donated money or attended the Ruckus spirit night to pay for these shirts. Because of your generosity, every 5th grader received a shirt.)
- Continuation of recycling programs. (Thank you, Megan Holler!) Here are our recycling numbers for the year:
- Squeezable pouches: 63.5 pounds
- Foil-line snack wrappers: 19.5
- Plastic film: 73 pounds
- Yearbook and yearbook cover contest (Thank you to Sarah Wohldmann for designing the yearbook and to all the families who sent pictures! Also thank you to all the families who donated to the Care & Share program. Because of your generosity, we will be able to provide yearbooks to students in need.)
- Paid for continuation of Positivity Project ($1400)
- Paid for software licenses Reading A-Z and Brain Pop ($3000)
- School garden
- Fall and spring plantings in the vegetable garden
- New cover for the strawberry garden. (Thank you, Matt Howard, for this design and construction!)
- Creation of pollinator garden, which is officially designated as a Monarch Way Station (Thank you, Megan Holler, for the idea and your dedication to making this happen!)
- Cultural Arts Events (Thank you, April Bartley, for coordinating these events!)
- Storyteller Donna Washington -- a virtual program for all students
- Japanese storyteller and origami -- a virtual program for all students. The PTA provided origami paper in a materials distribution so all students could participate in this program.
- Billy Jones -- 2nd grade workshop on sound
- Michael Beadle -- 4th grade writer in residence
- Macedonia United Methodist church delivered groceries weekly to our families in need. So many Swift Creek families made generous donations of time, items, and money to help these families. Thank YOU! The church also supported our staff with treats and lunches throughout the year.
- Swift Creek Exchange Club donated $200 to help purchase books for students in need during the book fair.
- To create the Pollinator Garden, we partnered with:
- Field to Cottage nursery, who designed the garden, laid out the garden, and gave us a discount on the plants
- Onyx Boutique who donated money to pay for the plants
- Papa Murphy's Take and Bake Pizza held 2 spirit nights for us and provided $5 pizzas during Teacher Appreciation Week!
- Flavors Ice Cream hosted a spirit night! What a yummy treat!
- TreeRing is our yearbook vendor. For every yearbook that we purchase, they plant a tree. This year, they will be planting 158 trees!
5TH GRADE (VIRTUAL) TALENT SHOW
So far we have 3 students signed up to participate and their talents sound amazing! We want you to participate as well. Sign up now at https://forms.gle/QarkQdAToYGBk3ie6.
Students can sing, dance, show off a sports skill, share a drawing, tell a story! The ideas are endless. All videos will be shared through FlipGrid.
Is your child interested but unsure where to start? Contact Ms. Sutton firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance!
- Parent permission is REQUIRED for a student to participate. (See the Google form to give this permission.)
- If there is any music in the performance, you must provide the words to the song to Marie Dexter at email@example.com for approval. Please use school approved versions of any songs.
- All videos will be reviewed and approved before the Talent Show. If there are any issues with a video, we will follow up with you before the Talent Show.
- The last day we will accept videos is June 1!!!!
Here are the scheduled testing dates:
- 3rd grade
- Reading: 5/19
- Math: 5/20
- Read to Achieve: 6/4
- 4th grade
- Reading: 5/24
- Math: 5/25
- 5th grade
- Science: 5/28
- Reading 6/1
- Math: 6/2
Students should arrive between 8:45-9:15. Testing will start promptly at 9:30.
ORDER YOUR SCHOOL SUPPLIES FOR NEXT YEAR!
1. Open www.shopttkits.com
2. Enter School Code 38021
The last day to order is June 11!
If you have questions about this program, contact School Supply Kitz chair, Laura Monaghan, at LauraMonaghan812@gmail.com.
Thank you for Flavors Spirit Night!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
- Wednesday, May 26: Asynchronous Learning Day
- Monday, May 31: Memorial Day. No school!
- Tuesday, June 8: Field Day in the classrooms. K-2 9:15-10:15, 3-5 2:15-3:15
- Wednesday, June 9: 5th grade celebration. By invitation only.
- Thursday, June 10: Last day of school!
- Friday, June 11: Last Day to order your School Supplies for Next Year
May 26: Deadline for Discount TO CAMP INVENTION
Register by May 26 and save $25 with code CREATE25.
Sign up today!
If you have questions about Camp Invention, contact Camp Director Monica Coles at firstname.lastname@example.org.