Here is your news for this week! Remember: No school on Wednesday because it is a Teacher Work Day!
The Positivity Project (P2): Supporting Others When They Struggle
This week in the Positivity Project, students will be learning about another aspect of the Other People Matter mindset: Supporting Others When They Struggle
There are many different approaches to helping people who are struggling. These can include: listening while they describe an event and their feelings about it, taking action to help people in need, or simply just being there and sitting together in silence. Talking through a problem is a common way to help a person who is going through a tough time.
Why does it matter?
On an individual level, the research is clear that when we help others we also help ourselves. Dr. Roy Baumeister found that individuals who are “givers” and help other people lead more meaningful lives
On a group level, it’s critically important that we help each other out. Everyone faces tough days needs support. And, this support leads to a chain of pro-social behavior that makes us feel good about ourselves and our group.
Tuesday: Board Advisory Council District 5 Meeting at 9:30am
The Wake County Board of Education Policy 2231 (available at wcpss.net, click on Board of Education, then Board Policies) provides for Board Advisory Councils (BAC). Each of the 9 school districts must have an advisory council made up of Principals, Parent Representatives, and at-large members. They meet at least 4 times a year with the district board member (for our district this is currently Dr. Jim Martin) as outlined in the policy. These meetings are open to all parents.
The next meeting of the District 5 council is Tuesday, Jan 28 at 9:30am at St. Augustine's college. WCPSS will be giving a short presentation on Social and Emotional Learning in Wake County. If you are interested in attending, please let Marie Dexter (email@example.com) know so she can add you to the security list.
For more information about the District 5 BAC and notes from the November meeting, see our website.
Wednesday: No School. Teacher Work Day
There is no school on Wednesday. It is a Teacher Work Day. School will resume its regular schedule on Thursday.
Thursday: Deadline to Apply to WCPSS Magnet Schools for Next School Year
Deadline to apply to a magnet school for the next school year. For more information, see https://magnet.wcpss.net/apply/
Box Top and Coke Bottle Top Collection Day
If you have Box Tops or Coke Bottle tops at home, please turn them in to your teacher by Friday. The Box Top fairy will be making her rounds to classrooms and collecting those items. Every penny counts!
Donate to the Teacher Cart for Jan 31
Hospitality chair, Sarah Wohldmann, will be making her rounds with the Teacher Cart on Friday, Jan 31. She is currently looking for donations. **New items have been added since last week!**
You can sign up to donate items at https://tinyurl.com/scesCartJan20
Family Heart Hop, Friday Feb 7
Based on parent feedback, the Father/Daughter dance is now a FAMILY event. We shine #BrighterTogether!
Boys, girls, and ALL our families are welcome to come dressed in their best and join us for this fun event. Enjoy a night of food, dancing, crafts, and friends!
Each child must be accompanied by an adult.
RSVP online at https://tinyurl.com/scesHopFeb7 or use the back of this form. To donate food or volunteer, sign up at http://tinyurl.com/scesBall20.
Watch DOGS: Half-Day Opportunities Now Available
The school year is flying along and to help get more gentlemen involved in the program we are introducing half-day sign-up opportunities. Your day will either start at the beginning of school and end after your student’s lunch, or begin with your student’s lunch and end after school.
There is still time to make an impact at Swift Creek and volunteer to be a Watch D.O.G. Get your picture added to our Hall of Fame! It is a great way to contribute to your SCES community. It's also an opportunity to make a memory with your student during recess, lunch, or while working on fractions!
Please feel free to email Sam Allen with any questions or to sign-up for a day (or half-day either beginning or ending with your Cougar’s lunch) at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
If you’d like to go directly to the sign-up website please visit: https://tinyurl.com/scesDOGS1920 and I will add you to the school’s calendar so they are ready with your schedule and picture with your Cougar(s). Thank you so much to those who have already volunteered. The school looks forward to new faces!
Need Proctors for ACCESS Testing
Can you help proctor ACCESS training on these dates and times?
Proctor training will be Thursday, Jan 30 at 9:30. The testing sessions where a proctor is needed will be
Feb 10th 9:30-10:45
Feb 11th 12:15-1:10
Feb 12th 1:40-2:25
Help with the Spring Book Fair
Preparation for the Spring book fair is underway and the book fair Chairs would love volunteers to be part of the book fair committee. Please reach out to Heather Chapman at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Kristen Sherman at Kmartaz73@gmail.com. Thank you!
Interested in Participating in International Night, Thursday, March 26?
Swift Creek's 3rd annual International Night is Thursday, March 26. Our theme for this year is This Is How I Do It. We are looking for volunteers and contributors in these areas:
- Join us for our next committee meeting on Friday, Jan 31 at 8:00am. If you cannot attend but are interested in helping, please contact Marie Dexter at email@example.com.
- We need families who would love to share their culture with us! Your time commitment can be as much or as little as you wish. For more details, see this information letter.
- We need volunteers to help make this night run smoothly. Sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e094eafae2ca64-international. This is another great volunteer opportunity for students who are looking for hours!
Sign Up for Camp Invention This Summer!
Camp Invention® is a nationally acclaimed summer program where STEM concepts come to life. Led by local teachers, this program has tapped into kids' natural curiosity since 1990, giving them the opportunity to become innovators through teamwork and immersive, hands-on creative problem-solving.
This summer, campers will explore flight with rockets and robots, learn the value of their creativity through hands-on activities, collaborate to help protect the Earth and design a sports complex!
At the end of the week, they will bring home their very own personalized robot! If you have questions, contact Camp Director, Mrs. Monica Coles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for this year’s summer camp at https://tinyurl.com/scesCamp2020
- Read to Achieve 3rd grade parent meeting, Tuesday, Feb 11 5:30-6:00pm Have you heard of Read to Achieve but you aren’t quite sure what it is? Join us for an informational meeting on how your 3rd grader might be impacted by the Read to Achieve law. Per this law, all 3rd grade students must show that they are proficient in reading by the end of their 3rd grade year or they will be considered “reading retained” in 4th grade. Join us to learn what qualifications a student must demonstrate and what will happen if they do not show proficiency.
- Literacy Curriculum Night, Tuesday, Feb 11 6:00pm Please come and learn how you can support your child’s reading development as well as learn about the new benchmarking assessment, Istation. Istation reports will go home on Feb 11 with report cards, so be sure to bring them.
- Developing Academic Vocabulary at Home Using Hands-on Activities (K-5) Thursday, February 27 5:30-7:00pm This workshop is presented by the Family Academy of Wake County. Academic Vocabulary is the language that is used to acquire new learning and skills. The parents will learn ways to encourage their child to develop academic vocabulary and activities they can use at home.For more information, contact Mrs. Burkhalter at email@example.com.
Mark Your Calendars:
- Monday, Jan 27: End of the second quarter. We are halfway through the school year!
- Wednesday, Jan 29: Teacher Work Day. No school for students!
- Thursday, Jan 30: Deadline to apply to a magnet school for the next school year. For more information, see https://magnet.wcpss.net/apply/
- Friday, Feb 7: Spirit Day, Family Heart Hop 5:30-7:30
- Tuesday, Feb 11: Report cards and Istation reports go home; PTA Meeting, 3rd grade Read to Achieve, Literacy Curriculum Night.
- Wednesday, Feb 26 4:30pm: Swift Creek basketball game played by the 5th grade basketball club
Stay in the Loop:
To get daily updates about what is happening at the Creek, follow us on FaceBook.