Although we have only 4 days this week, they are again busy ones. We hope it is great one for your family!
Positivity Project (P2): Creativity
This week, students will be learning about the character strength of creativity.
WHAT IT MEANS
You come up with new and original ways to think about and do things.
WHY IT MATTERS
Creativity is associated with intrinsic motivation, meaning the process of creation is an end in itself. Creativity is also correlated with self-actualization, or fulfilling one’s talents and potential.
Resources for Home:
- Not a Box by A. Portis
- Ish by Peter Reynolds
- Beautiful Oops by B. Saltzberg
- The Art Lesson by Tomie DePaola
- What Do You Do with an Idea?
Get your creativity juices flowing as a family:
- Do one of Mrs. McIntrye's art projects on the 30 Days of Art page
- Select 5 random items and see what you can create with them
- Invent something
Wednesday Oct 30: Box Top Collection
The deadline for the Fall check from the Box Tops program is Nov 1. Our Box Top Fairy will be making her rounds on Oct 30, so please turn in your Box Tops and Coke bottle tops to your child's teacher this week!
Thursday, Oct 31: Regular School Day, Reflections Entries Due
- Remember! Thursday is now a regular school Day. The Teacher Work Day was cancelled to make up for a day we missed for Hurricane Dorian.
- Reflections Entries are Due! This is a great opportunity for 3, 4, 5 graders to showcase their artistic skills.
This year's theme is Look Within. For more information, see http://www.wakepta.org/reflections-2019-20.html
Download the packet at
You can submit the packet digitally by emailing it to Reflections chair, Carrie Fernandez at email@example.com.
- Order Your Yearbook for 10% Off Yearbooks can be purchased from TreeRing at tr5.treering.com/createAccount/1015281241841003. The regular price is $13.77 but if you order now, you get 10% off. If you have questions, contact Yearbook Chair, Sarah Wohldmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, Nov 1: Teacher Work Day
No School this Friday! Enjoy your long weekend!
A Round of Applause
Thank you so much for all YOUR contributions this week.
- Thank you for donating to the Teacher Snack cart. Hospitality chair, Sarah Wohldmann, went around the school on Friday and reports that the teachers were all smiles! You can help by donating items. Sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090a4faca92aab9-teacher1 If you have questions, contact Hospitality Chair, Sarah Wohldmann at email@example.com.
- Thank you to everyone who attended Swift Creek night at Ruckus Pizza! We had a great turnout!
STEM Night is Nov 14 and We NEED Your Help!
STEM night has become an annual tradition during Family Night of the Fall Book Fair. This year we have all new experiments for the kiddos (well except for the favorite slime).
We need your help to make this a success:
- You can volunteer by signing up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e094eafae2ca64-book4
UPDATE: We are in urgent need of ADULT volunteers for this event. If you have a family member (uncle, grandparent, etc) who might be able to help, please sign them up!
- We also are looking for donations of these supplies. Send them in with your child and label them STEM Night. Or you can order off our wish list: https://www.walmart.com/lists/shared/a8318832-a4ac-4c0e-9241-c19e722c2fe5
- small paper bowls (120 bowls)
- food coloring (2 packages)
- baking soda (We still need 2lbs)
- white crayons (36 or a bulk pack)
- white cardstock
- watercolor paints (32 individual sets)
- sticky notes
- paper clips
- colored index cards
- paper towels
- masking tape
- colored paper (8 1/2 by 11)
- marbles (30)
- 1 gallon school glue (7 bottles)
- rubber bands
- 2 inch pompons
- 250 plastic spoons
- 6" wooden craft sticks
Update: The updated list is available from the STEM page on the PTA website. If you plan to donate items, please turn them in this week!
If you have questions about STEM night, contact Ashley Elliott firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the ReadVolution! Help Swift Creek Reach the Goal of 2020 Books!
Help Swift Creek earn a chance to win a day with the Carolina Hurricanes. If our students read 2,020 books by Dec 6, we are entered in a drawing to win a chance to spend a practice with the Hurricanes.
You can log your child's hours with these easy steps:
1. Open http://wakeid.wcpss.net.
2. Click Select User Type.
3. Enter your child's WakeID.
Update: Having trouble figuring out your child's ID? It is the first initial of their first name, first initial of their middle name, and then there last name. For example, abdexter
4. Click Continue to Log In.
5. Enter your WakeID Password.
6. Click Continue to Log In.
7. Click the hurricanes logo.
Students who log 800 minutes of reading will receive 2 complimentary tickets to a Hurricanes game.
Are Your Workouts Spooktacular?
Is your family taking the October Workout challenge from Ms. Graves? Get the calendar at http://swiftcreekeswcpssnetptahtml.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/2/2/24227387/octpe.pdf
Supplies Needed for the Art Room:
Mrs. McIntyre is collecting:
- dried paint brushes
- tissue paper
- mac & cheese cups
- food storage containers
- clear lids
- paper drink trays
- paper tubes
- cool whip containers with lids
- contact lens containers
- baby wipe boxes
- wire twist ties
- bottle tops
- acorn caps
Send these items to school with your child and label them Art Supplies. Thank you for your help!
Mark Your Calendars:
- Monday, Nov 11 -- Veteran's Day. No School
- Nov 12-15: Scholastic Book Fair
- Thursday, Nov 14: Family Night at the Book Fair and STEM Night
- Wednesday, Nov 27-29: Thanksgiving holiday