Enjoy this beautiful day before our second round of Arctic air comes!
Thank you to EVERYONE who attended City Barbecue night on Wednesday. The restaurant was PACKED! Our families are so amazing and so supportive. It is incredible. I can't wait to see our sales totals.
Friday is a very busy day this week! But every day brings great things at our school. If you get a chance, please thank your child's teacher or staff member for all they do to help our students learn and grow! And oh how they've grown!
Have a wonderful week! If there is anything that you need, please let me know. I am happy to help.
Positivity Project: Supporting Others When They Struggle
This week in the Positivity Project, students will be learning about another component of the Other People Matter Mindset. They will be learning about supporting others when they struggle.
There are many ways to support others who are struggling: listening, taking action, or simply being there and sitting in silence.
On an individual level, research shows that when we help others we also help ourselves. These people lead more meaningful lives.
On a group level, it's critically important that we help others out. Everyone faces tough days and needs support. This support leads to a chain of pro-social behavior that makes us feel good about ourselves and others in our group.
Wednesday, Jan 30: Deadline for Magnet/Year Round Applications
The WCPSS registration period for applying to a magnet school (or year round school) is through Jan 30. For more information, see the Wake County Web site.
Thursday 6-8pm: Resilience: The Biology of Stress and Science of Hope
If you plan to attend this event, please RSVP ASAP. It is especially important if you need child care.
The Public Schools First of NC will lead a discussion after the film. If you have registered, you should receive a confirmation email from me today. If you do not receive this email, let me know.
Friday: What a BUSY day!
- Spirit Day! -- Show your school pride and wear your Swift Creek colors! Which class will win the Spirit Award for February? Mrs. Fallon's 4th grade class won in January and with 70% participation, they blew the competition out of the water!
- 9:30 Coffee and Conversation with Mr. Propst -- Bring your questions and hear about where the Creek is going.
- RSVPs for Math Curriculum Night are due. One clarification about the night. There will not be a PTA meeting. From 6:00-6:30, there will be a 2nd grade Sound concert in the gym.
- Celebrations of Brilliance: We have so many brilliant students and staff at the Creek! This Friday, we will be celebrating individuals in each grade level. Parents, if your student will be recognized, you should have received an invitation in your child's Tuesday folder. If you plan to pick up your child after the celebration, please let your teacher know by Wednesday.
Now is the time to turn in your yearbook order forms. You can also sponsor a page in the yearbook. And 5th grade parents, remember those 5th grade dedications!
And we still need YOUR pictures for the yearbook. We can't be everywhere but our yearbook needs to represent EVERYONE at the Creek. If you have pictures, you can email them to email@example.com or you can upload them to our yearbook site. For more information, see http://swiftcreekeswcpssnetptahtml.weebly.com/yearbook.html
For more information, contact Kristy Pickurel at firstname.lastname@example.org or reply to this email.
Advocacy: Swift Creek Is Collecting Books for Wake Up and Read
Wake Up and Read is a county wide program that aims to raise 110,000 books for 13 elementary schools. Each child in those schools will take home 10 books of their very own.
The Swift Creek Service Club is collecting new and gently used books from Feb 5 - 15. You can put your donations in the box in the front hall.
Start gathering your books now! :-)
We Still Need Displays for International Night
Swift Creek is a school of diversity. All of us have different backgrounds, different family traditions, and so many stories.
We want to celebrate this diversity on Thursday, March 21. We would love to hear your family's stories.
Your level of commitment is up to you. You can create a display board (like a tri-fold science fair board) that discusses the country where your family is from and some of your traditions, etc. For example, on my Dad's side of the family, I am a first generation American. My Dad immigrated to America in 1973. As a result, many of my family traditions are from the Alsace region of France. I will be creating a board to talk about some of our food traditions, holidays, etc.
Or if you want to be more involved, you can bring games, instruments, money and host visitors in a classroom.
All levels of involvement are welcome! If you are interested, please contact Marie Dexter at email@example.com.
Join the Swift Creek Team at the Garden Gallop on March 16
The Interfaith Food Shuttle (who is helping us with our school garden) invites us to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle's annual Garden Gallop 5K! This is the only fundraiser we host to fund our Urban Agriculture Education program here at the Food Shuttle, and we would love to see our school partners (Swift Creek is one of these partners and directly benefits from this program) join us on this day. This is why we are sharing this promo code for discounted entry to the Garden Gallop 5K. Partner school families can use the code before for 25% off cost of entry. Please help us spread the word for this event, but please do not share the promo code outside of your school network.
Promo Code: Urban Ag
Kids 12 and under run / walk for free! Bring the whole family, which of course includes dogs.
Register or donate at tinyurl.com/gardengallop19. You should be able to select Swift Creek as your team!
- Are you or someone you know knowledgeable about stage lights? Then I want to talk with you. I am looking for someone who can help improve the lighting on our stage in the gym. If you can help, please contact me!
- Do you have a sander? We have a couple of benches on the school playground that need to be re-sanded and painted. If you can help, please let me know.
Mark Your Calendars:
- Feb 5 - 15: Book Drive for Wake Up and Read
- Wednesday, Feb 6 -- First SCES Basketball game vs. Dillard Drive Elementary. Home game!
- Tuesday, Feb 12 -- Math Curriculum Night
- Friday, Feb 15 -- Early Release. School dismisses at 1:15. RSVPs due for Father / Daughter Dance
- Monday, Feb 18 -- Teacher Work Day
- Friday, Feb 22 6:00-8:00pm -- Father Daughter Dance in the Cafeteria
- Feb 25 - March 1: Read Across America Week! Do you know a community leader who could come in on Friday, March 1 (around 9:30am) and be a community reader? If so, let me know.