I hope you are looking forward to the 4 day week and Spring Break!!!! I hope everyone has a very safe holiday full of joy and laughter. And some quality time with our special kids.
Have a great week!
The Positiivty Project: Humor
In honor of April 1 (being this upcoming Sunday), this week the character strength is humor. One of my personal favorites. :-)
WHAT IT MEANS
Humor is a sense of playfulness and lightness. It is a way of looking at and describing the world that brings laughter to people. A person with the strength of humor is skilled at
seeing at the funny side of things, bringing smiles and laughter to others, and identifying and communicating the absurdities in life.
WHY IT MATTERS
For individuals, humor has important health benefits, both mental and physical. Humor stretches the mind to look at things from different perspectives, keeping people mentally
agile and alert.
Humor plays an important role in helping groups of people rise above difficult circumstances and boost moral. It removes us from our present difficulties by easing tension and making life more fun.
Thursday: Regular School Day; Turn in Your Box Tops!
Thursday is a make up day for our January snow. (On the original school calendar, it was a teacher work day.)
Turn in your Box Tops and Coke bottle tops for the Box Top Fairy's collection on Thursday! Who will be our March Super Snippers?
Friday: School Holiday and the Start of Spring Break
SPRING BREAK!!!! I'm sorry. Did I say that too loud? I'm a little excited. Hope everyone enjoys their Spring Break and comes back refreshed on Monday, April 9.
There is Still Time to Order a Yearbook!
Did you forget to order a yearbook? You still have a chance. Please send in your order form this week:
How Is Your Family Doing with the March Fitness Calendar?
This is the last week of the March Fitness Calendar challenge. Please turn in your calendars after Spring Break.
Need a new form? It is available at http://tinyurl.com/scesFit.
We need Watch DOGSWelcome to the WATCH D.O.G.S (Dads Of Great Students) program. This program focuses on education and safety in schools by using the positive influence of fathers and father-figures for a two-fold purpose: (1) to provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important and (2) to provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying. Fathers, stepfathers, grandfathers, uncles, older brothers, cousins are asked to spend at least one day at their student’s school volunteering.
They will support the school through monitoring the school property, working in small groups, reading, using flashcards, helping with homework, refereeing games, listening ears, or whatever else needs to be done to PLANT SEEDS OF SUCCESS in the lives of the students.
For more information, please contact David Outlaw, firstname.lastname@example.org
Two Opportunities to Meet the New Principal at Dillard Drive Middle
Dillard Drive Middle School has a new principal, Mrs. Margaret Feldman. Here are two opportunities to meet her:
- April 12 at 8:30am at Dillard Middle School for coffee and conversation. Please RSVP to me if you plan to attend so I can give Mrs. Feldman some numbers.
- May 8 6:30pm at our PTA meeting in the media center
Another Successful Book Fair!
Thank you for your support of the Spring Book Fair! Our total was about $7500, which means the school has earned around $3000 in money for books for the school.
Thank you to Aimee Langerhans, book fair committee chair, and Mrs. Wils for creating another great fair. An extra special Thank you to Alicia Haskell and Hani Brooks for returning to the Creek (even though they don't have kids here) to work the book fair! Also, thank you to ALL the volunteers who helped with setup, preview, shopping, and take down!
Congratulations to our STATE Science Fair Winner!
Exciting news! August Langerhans, a 5th grader at Swift Creek, won the State Science Fair this weekend! How incredible is that? We are so proud of you, August!
Join Us for Camp Invention! June 18-22
Looking for a summer camp the week of June 18-22? Then look no further. Swift Creek will be hosting Camp Invention, a one week where your child’s creativity, innovation, and problem solving skills are challenged and developed in fun and exciting ways.
Register today at campinvention.org! Use these codes for a discount.
- Spring into Summer Discount: Valid March 22-May 4 $15 off with promo code SummerFun15
- Two Siblings Discount $25 off each child promo code SIBLING
If you have questions contact Camp Director, Monica Coles at email@example.com, or camp parent, Marie Dexter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recap from International Night!
Did you miss International Night this Thursday? It was an awesome event! Our families did an INCREDIBLE job.
Thank you so much to these families for their incredible displays:
- India -- The Outlaw Family
- Guatemala - Mrs. Morales and Beatriz Morales
- Mexico - The Flores-Garcia Family
- Venezuela -- The Giraldo Family
- Iran -- The Alawazzi Family
- Egypt -- The Darwish Family
- Iran -- Farzaneh Rezaie
- Phillipines -- The Pacio Family
- Poland -- The Szkudlarek Family
- China -- Aubrey Word
- Spain -- The Fernandez and Word families
- Ireland -- The Ford family
- France -- The Dexter family
Thank you to all our amazing volunteers and committee members. As you can see, it takes an army to pull off an event like this:
- Nehal Outlaw -- such yummy food and great Indian entertainment
- Megan Word, Dave Word, and Aubrey Word -- for their performances in the gym
- Kim Partin -- for creating the popular passports and the map
- Elizabeth Wolber -- for coming up with the idea for International Night
- Cheryl Byrne -- for her idea of putting student drawings around the map in the hall
- Ms. Sutton -- for the music in the cafeteria
- Mrs. Mailhot, Mrs. Sedaghat, Ms. Lipe, Mrs. Hanna, Mrs. Robinson, Annie Pilz, Ann Douglas, Carrie Fernandez, and everyone who I unintentionally left out -- for volunteering and jumping in where needed during the night
A very special thank you to Mrs. Chadwick and the Swift Creek Service Club for all their help! They were great International Ambassadors.
And Thank you, thank you, thank you to Mrs. Burkhalter, our ESL teacher, for all her support and hard work!
Link to photos from International Night:
You'll want to make a special note of these upcoming events:
- April 10 6:30pm - 4th grade drama performance & PTA meeting in the gym
- April 12 8:30am: Coffee and Conversation with Mrs. Feldman, the new principal of Dillard Drive Middle school. This event takes place AT DILLARD
- April 17 5-8pm -- Chick Fil A night at the Crossroads Chick Fil A. 20% of sales goes back to the Creek. Plus, we will be selling $1 sundaes and ALL of that money goes to the Creek.
- April 20 8am (tentative) -- Muffins with Mom
- May 8 6:30pm -- PTA meeting where you can meet the new principal of Dillard Middle School, Mrs. Feldman
- May 18 8am -- Donuts with Dad
- June 11 -- 5th grade graduation